Friday, September 25, 2009

The beauty of the color gloss!

I am really loving this Seattle autumn weather.. and I think people are really gearing up for the coming fall. I've been doing a lot of dark hues these last few weeks. Lot's of people wanting richer colors and a hint of warm.

The color gloss is my number one choice for a rich, natural color that leaves the hair feeling silkier and looking shiny. What makes it different from a regular all-over color is that it does no lifting of the hair cuticle or the hairs natural pigment, it only deposits color. Regular oxidative color does both (lifting and depositing).

A while ago I had a client come in for a gloss. She was a natural dark blonde but prefers dark hair so she'd been coloring her long hair with box color on her own for a long time. Her hair was starting to look damaged and feel brittle and dry on the ends. I freshened up her dark hair with an all-over color gloss and it looked great! It did all the things I hoped it would and left her shiny and no-longer dry looking. Win!!

Unfortunately, the next time I saw her about 6 weeks later for another gloss she told me the first one faded and she went over it again with a box color. There must have been a miscommunication. I thought I explained to her that if it fades in a week or two (which would not be unusual with the porosity of her hair) I would be happy to go over it with a second gloss at no charge. I think maybe she thought I was going to charge her. Sadly, by putting box color over it again it just put us 2 steps back. It's completely normal for really porous hair that has had repeated box dye on it to not hold onto color. By using box dye again she was only making the porosity worse, her hair more brittle and doing needless damage. It's to be expected it would probably take a few times to fill properly.  I felt really bad for not making it clearer when I did the first gloss.

So anyway, today I did another (beautiful rich brown) gloss and then I heat sealed deep conditioner and she left looking like a model.. I told her to call me if it fades too fast, and this time she promised she would!

No comments: