Thursday, May 1, 2008

Great Short Hair!

I had a really fun haircut today and I was so excited about it I forgot to take "before" shots - but the afters are so cute I think it's ok! See for yourself:



Lia came to see me because I do the hair of a friend of hers that she liked a lot. It was similar in shape to what we did here. It's a very fluid and flattering shape for short hair, especially short hair that has some natural body such as Lia's.




In describing the cut she wanted, Lia (brilliantly) called it "organic" and I can't think of a better description than that. It hugs the head in all the right ways and accentuates the curve of the neck: very flattering for people who have long slender necks (such as Lia) ..and it also has a way of making a neck APPEAR that way.. tricky-tricky!

When Lia told me she was a Salsa dancer I immediately (though erroneously) made an association with paintings of Flamenco dancers and the swirly tendrils they wear. It all worked out even though Flamenco is Spanish and Salsa is Latin American.. but for purposes of the haircut the association was ok! With the natural curl and wave patterns in her hair we also incorporated a bit of 1920's flapper finger-wave feel to the shaping in the front. I think the whole thing just turned out wonderfully- What to you think?





For me, the key to making this feminine, feisty shape work is the texture of the cut and the attention to fine tuning personal details to make it flattering to the wearer.. it's definitely not a formulaic, one size fits all haircut by any stretch. This is a tailored and personalized hairstyle that, when done well, is effortlessly stylish and timeless.

Anyway.. it was fun to do and I think Lia likes it too!



(NOTE: I just want to say that I had completed this entire post and lost it due to some stupid glitch with blogger.. GRRR!)

No comments: