Tuesday, January 30, 2007

On Face Shape







I see a lot of talk about matching your cut to your face shape and I have to say, I really think this is a whole lot of hooplah about not much. I find it especially annoying in terms of "shouldn't."
I don't like the idea of "Shouldn't" in hairdressing. In this day and age when we can literally make your hair any color of the rainbow, any length, texture and density - why is this notion still around? I think when it comes to hairsyle - it's all about what you want to reveal or say about yourself.


A classic example of someone who breaks the rules and does exactly what she shouldn't with hairstyle is Isabella Rosalini. She is a textbook example of a square face shape and rather than doing all the things you are supposed to do with regards to square shape - she does exactly what you aren't. She has a square cut bob - and frankly, she rocks it. Always has.
According to my handy source, anthropologist Grant McCracken (author of "Big Hair" which I am sure to refer to endlessly!) this bob cut is a variation called the 'China Doll', 'Baby Doll' or a short 'Cleopatra." This particular bob cut has some interesting associations: passive, delicate and dependant on men or conversely, a woman of power and mystery. I believe in Ms. Rosellini's case it has the air of power and mystery. The "China Doll" or "Baby Doll" bob's tend to be 'cute' whereas the "Cleopatra" is typically described as dramatic. I think this fits into the dramatic category. Apparenlty men report to finding this haircut attractive and sometimes a little intimidating ("responding no doubt, to the passive and dominating aspects of the looks symbolism") . I find Ms. Rosellini certainly attractive AND intimidating. And frankly, I think that is her intention. She nails it.
So basically - it's just a small example of why this face shape ideology is less important than it is sometimes made out to be - sure there are ways to wear your hair to accuntuate some features and detract attention from others - but let's banish that dogmatic word from our hair vocabulary, shall we? No more "shouldn't."
Let's just play!
Addios!
Lynn Caldeiro
for appointment: 206.322.9280












No comments: