Sunday, September 15, 2019

First, Do No Harm..

It's been a really long time since I've posted anything on this blog but I've been thinking about something and I just had to make a post.

After a few in depth hair conversations and also listening to some interesting pod-casts I've been able to sort of solidify a personal philosophy about what I think is important about being a hair dresser. I really try to listen to all my clients and collaborate with them to achieve their hair goals - but sometimes there are significant things that need to be taken into consideration.

I want to always follow the "camp site" rule... always leaving my clients hair in better condition than what I found it. Often times I slip in a deep conditioner at the bowl or on the ends of the hair while some foils are processing - I do this as a complimentary service because, lets face it, many of my wonderful clients have been coming to me for over a decade and why wouldn't I want to show their hair some extra love?

I believe that healthy hair is always the foundation for beautiful hair. If your hair isn't healthy I am always going to strategize on how we can make a plan with your color and cuts to get you to maximum beautiful hair. If you are coming in with a lot of damage, sometimes this can take a long time, 6 months to a year depending on the length. And sometimes your goals are not always going to align with what will be the most beautiful look for you.

I know the dark haired Kardashians have gone from basically black to platinum in a few days but what real-word person has that kind of money (or time - that is many hours of processing and repair processes as well)? I always strive to keep your hair in a beautiful and realistic state for your color range. That doesn't mean I'm not open to doing some really creative stuff and working with you to achieve something like super-platinum blonde, but the process isn't going to be one hour and a half appointment. It's going to take care and time and very likely 4-5 visits.

If your hair already has breakage from some other salon, the rehab process is going to take time. I'm willing to use whatever potions are at my disposal (probably Olaplex!) to help you get thru it... but what I am not going to do is apply more bleach. We will have to get thru the painful process of nursing your hair back to health together! I've yet to meet anyone with that kind of breakage who really wants to just cut their hair short and start over. I'll camouflage the damage with strategic layers and prescribe products to help rebuild your hair. And it will take a long time, I really can't sugar coat it.

Maybe I'm not the stylist for everyone, but I deeply care about my clients hair and it's health and integrity are my first priority. I want you to leave with your hair looking and hopefully feeling better than when you came in and my first consideration for any chemical service is making sure we do the least damage possible!

Anyway, that's what I've been thinking about lately.
Happy Fall!!

Book online at: www.studiothreehairsalon.com

No comments: