Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Studio Three Phasing Out OLAPLEX

 Hello All!

Many of you are already aware that I have adopted a new Bond Repairing System called K18 (click on the link for a short video of how K18 revolutionizes the process of repairing damaged hair). I've been using it in the salon for about 5 months now and I just no longer have needed to use Olaplex because K18 works twice as well at the same job. Right now I am offering K18 as a $10 ad-on service to any color or cut. and $25 as a stand alone treatment. 

I have not thought much about Olaplex since I started using K18 other than I never find myself using it or recommending it any more. Unofficially, I have just naturally been phasing it out by just not reordering inventory as the products have begun to sell out. Currently, I have two large bottles of the No. 3 (at home treatment) and two bottles of the No. 6 (smoothing cream). 

And now for the bad news... it has recently come to my attention that there is an issue with Olaplex No. 3 and an ingredient it contains called "Butylphenyl Methylpropional." Here is an excerpt from an article regarding this issue: 

"Back in 2020, a fragrance known as butylphenyl methylpropional - also referred to as lilial - was officially classified as 'reprotoxic' meaning it could have adverse effects on fertility, as well as on the development of a fetus.

As a result of this new classification, all products containing lilial must be off the shelves by 1st March 2022 in EU countries and Northern Ireland, while the Cosmetic, Toiletry & Perfumery Association (CTPA) has confirmed a ban in Great Britain is expected to follow soon." 

The whole article can be found here:   Olaplex Fertility Issues with No 3

Needless to say, I have removed all the Olaplex from my shelves (only the bottles of No.3 and No. 6 were left anyway) and will no longer be selling them. From what I can tell, the only Olaplex product containing the chemical in question (Butylphenyl Methylpropional/Lilial) is the No. 3 and I wanted to make you all aware of it as soon as possible. 

Olaplex definitely does great things for the hair and I think it is a very good product (sans the issue w No. 3) but I had already favored the K18 over Olaplex for many months now so this news was basically a catalyst for the announcement Studio Three is officially a K18 Salon.

Everybody enjoy this beautiful sunshine!

Hugs!

-Lynn

No comments: