Monday, September 28, 2009

The Long Haul..

Everyone knows I am a long-hair lover and helping people grow their hair long is something I enjoy and I think I am good at it. Don't get me wrong I can rock me some sassy short hair cuts.. and I am even getting interested in longer alternatives to short (like the "lob") without being long.. but, in the end I always gravitate toward long hair.

Here is a quick list of Lynn's recommendations for growing it out:

1) take pre-natal vitamins
2) keep your ends in good condition between cuts. Use a deep conditioner from the midshaft to the ends at least once a week. Use olive oil (just a drop) in the ends every other day.
3) eat a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of salmon and avocados (there is another post around here on healthy hair stuff like this, check it out here).
4) stay hydrated!!
5) treat your hair like it's precious silk - don't yank your comb or brush through it! Take the time to brush it with patience and it will pay off.
6) don't use hair clips or rubberbands with metal, they cause breakage
7)Do an intensive deep conditioning treatment at least once a season. This can be a store bought deep condtioner that you might apply and put a cap over and keep on for half an hour, an hour, or even overnight if you have thicker hair. Or it could be a salon treatment that is applied and either heated under a dryer or flat ironed directly into the hair.
8) try a "thinning hair" shampoo system (I used nioxin) -I don't know if it really worked - but it made me feel like I was doing something pro-active and it didn't hurt!

Let me know if you have other suggestions - these are just some of the things that have worked for me. I'd be very interested in personal experiences so feel free to leave comments or email me directly.

Here is a photo story of my personal hair journey.. a long haul!

1 comment:

introspection_x said...

You have beautiful hair!